Skip to main content

My night on the road with The Hawkeyes

     I pull up to a storage facility's gate at 5:30 pm. I open my window to the 6 degree wind and punch in the code for the gate and it shakes open. I drive past the rows of storage units until I see one with a big white van. After parking my bulky Acura on the narrow, snow covered pavement, I walk up to the van to see the face of The Hawkeyes, Jay Wiley.
   
 I've been hanging out with Jay Wiley of The Hawkeyes for about a week now and I understand why everyone I've talked to about him have said he's "the hardest working man in Pittsburgh".  I first heard this uttered when filming a production meeting for The Hawkeyes' upcoming album. "Jay Wiley, hardest working man in the business" said Sean McDonald, Jay's producer. I thought that was just Sean kissing ass. He's not going to say "biggest piece of shit out there", right? Sean kept saying it.

     Jay is packing the van in preparation to go to Indiana, PA to perform at the Brown Hotel -- a cornerstone of live music in Indiana. We shake hands and I attempt to help him pack the van. "There's a way to do it. Everyone has a different way. Everyone is wrong. This is how you pack a fucking van". I stand on the inside of the heated storage facility as Jay packs the van. We talk about what he wants to see in the video, he tells me war stories about his time on the road -- with a record label and without. Good conversation.
 
     From behind the van, a bearded man walks up and greets Jay. This is Brian, the bass player. I introduce myself and Brian helps Jay with the last of the stuff for the van. This is surreal to me. I get to hang out with a band as they go on the road -- even if "on the road" just means going to Indiana, an hour away. Brian is easy to talk to, but also really quiet at the same time. I was also the new guy so maybe he just didn't have much to say to me. We went back and forth a bit until we all packed up and got in the van to go get Colin, the drummer.
 
    After sitting in traffic for about half an hour, we get to Colin's house in Etna. We see him running across the street as we stop outside and he slides the door open. I introduce myself to Colin and we hit the road. Our conversation in the car centered around video games, the band, and creepy internet videos we've seen. We've seen a good bit of horrible videos, collectively. Colin is also a firefighter and desk clerk at a government agency as well as a drummer. He recounts some of the horrors he's seen in the field. "Fucked up shit, man".
     We get to Indiana and the main street is lit up like --- well --- a Christmas tree. Each building is lined with strings of lights and reeves on all of the lamp posts. Pulling up to the Brown Hotel, we see the fourth member, Mike, standing outside, waiting for us. I've been hearing about Mike the whole car ride (but don't tell him that). Introduction, and into the Brown.
     The first band, Coastal Remedy, were high energy. They also had 4 members and mostly played covers. They had a cover of "Bartering Lines" by Ryan Adams that was absolutely incredible. These kids could play. The energy in the Brown Hotel was high. Beer was flowing and jams were playing.
     The energy from Coastal Remedy was a perfect stage with what was about to come next. The Hawkeyes were awesome. Colin pounding away on the drums, Mike shredding away, Brian killing the bass, and Jay performing his ass off. The crowd was not prepared for the amount of rock n' roll that was being served to them. The crowd was yelling and throwing up rock fists. It's not a terribly big venue, about the average size of a bar.

      While filming The Hawkeyes, I captured their faces. The intensity and passion behind these guys is absolutely incredible. They love this shit. They all had work tomorrow morning. Early. That wasn't going to stop them from playing their asses off tonight. I felt an overwhelming sense of joy. I dig people who dig things, and these guys dig music. Seeing that kind of love gave me happiness and assured me that I was in the right place, doing the right job.

     After their set, between the applause and people literally screaming "Rock 'n' Roll!", Jay and I got a chance to chop it up. He bought me a beer -- never draft. Draft beers give you headaches the next day according to the band leader. A theory I'd like to test out with this band. Jay and I are talking as the owner of the hotel goes to the microphone. "I'd like to thank Jay Wiley for putting this show together for our benefit. It really means a lot to us. Thanks Jay". More applause. Holy shit. I realized that The Hawkeyes aren't getting paid for this gig. All of the proceeds are going to the hotel. This is fucking love. Love for music, for community and for the Brown Hotel.

     In my experiences starting Muzaik and speaking to all of the artists I have spoken to, getting to know Jay and The Hawkeyes has easily been the most rewarding -- inspirational, even. The group interacts well and really like each other. After some warming up, they treated me like their own. It was an awesome experience to get to know these guys.

     After their set, we stuck around for a few more songs by the next band and headed out around 11:30. Nothing bonds people together like riding in a van, smelling farts and listening to music. We got back to the storage facility -- after dropping Colin off -- at around 1:30. We unpacked the van and I told Jay that I was going to succeed him in his title of "hardest working man in the industry". "Good luck. I'm not slowing down." he told me. He has a show every night this week. Love for music is what keeps him alive. That love is a pilot light inside of him that fuels every aspect of his being. That love has turned into work ethic -- which is an impressive work ethic. Jay Wiley is the manifestation of "the grind". Powerful shit.

     These guys are awesome. Great music and great people. They treat people you would expect good people to treat people. I'll be continuing to work with The Hawkeyes, and I can't wait to do so.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Beginnings

     After toiling with the intricacies of the music industry and finding where I fit, I don't think I fit in just yet. I need to create something(s). I decided to take Muzaik in the direction of what I know, movies. I am starting a new club that meets every week to make movies. I just want to be a part of the creative community in Pittsburgh so we can make some really cool shit.      How do I inject myself into the community?      Cause friction.      By going out and posting where Muzaik is going, I will allow others to follow me. If the leader isn't going anywhere, they won't have any followers. I'll be going to creative events -- whether it be a comedy show, music, $5 movies around town, movie meetups, concerts, open mics etc. -- and writing about them. I will be recognized by those who already know me and people who will be seeing my face more and more.      So go to these events and take pictures. Sounds like a good plan.      Long story short .... Muzai

What the Pittsburgh music community is looking for

     As the founder of Muzaik, I get to talk to a lot of musicians. When I tell them what Muzaik is, they love it. The conversations start with a bewildered look as I explain what it is. Once the explanation lands, they get excited. Eyes get bigger, body language loosens, people get more comfortable. They know I'm not trying to take anything from them. Just building this community. Face-to-face. The crack of a smile is all I need to know. We're all looking for the same thing. To come together. Community, especially in the creative realm, is crucial. Everything is a good idea in a vacuum. What is music, or art for that matter, but a culmination of everything you've ever heard and experienced, put through the eyes you see the world with. Now, if there are more eyes that are seeing that message before it gets put out into the world, the worldview of the art gets bigger. I think that is just absolutely beautiful. Reality is perception. Your reality changes once there is ano

What is Muzaik and why does it exist?

     I found a complete lack of community in the creative environment. There just wasn't a place where we all were hanging out. I wanted to work with other creative people to get my own creative juices flowing. Although the internet has made our world so small, we still don't know how to connect with each other to collaborate. We are much greater than the sum of our parts (you, me, all of us). I found the lack of portfolio/collaboration platforms pretty discouraging. "What if nobody is doing this? What if nobody wants amateurs working on their videos?" "Well then, how does anybody start?" People need to connect. Nobody ever "made it" by themselves (as much as they'd love to tell you they did). Art takes collaboration and hustle. Nobody can give you hustle, but Muzaik provides a tool for collaboration. Muzaik is a network of creative people who want to collaborate and showcase their work as musicians, photographers, graphic designers and